QuickScan Pro 7 - 4/20/2010 - v. 188.8.131.52
New features are in green, bug
fixes are in black
New function to filter clients by tax-type and client type and display in
support for new FMS Emailer module that now handles SSL connection
3. Options form update to accommodate port and connection type fields
4. Update Print reports for more room in text field
Previously (7/15/09) v.
Changed hard coded address for eNR/iNN uploads
2. New report not bound to program time data
3. Update to query to place call letter fields correctly for NDS uploads
4. Changes in results display forms to increase the size of article text
Previously (2/13/08) v.
Cosmetic changes to "Rundown" reports enabling the viewing of
all characters in the story "Length" field
2. Removed input mask to date controls on the Order form.
3. New reports added for Print module that allow sorting of data by state
4. Added spell checking functionality to Print module input or logging
5. Fixed spell checking on Search
Results form (print or broadcast)
Previously (9/6/07) v.
Two new command buttons have been added to the Order form's
"General" tab to allow the user to bring up Client,
Contacts and Account Profile data from within the Order.
2. A new report has been added called the "Prospecting Concise
Report". This report was designed to display all stories from a
particular news program and squeeze these into as little space as
possible. A possible use might be for reading through news stories
for the sake of prospecting or providing to your local broadcaster so they
can see what was being run on other stations.
3. A problem was corrected that was
causing an incorrect message to display after an FTP failure to iNN
after a cc import. Records were not being flagged as sent but the
message was misleading.
Previously (8/29/07) v.
added to attach (link) data tables when in the automatic maintenance mode
2. Logic altered to prevent records
(stories) being marked as uploaded after an FTP failure. This
affects inewsnetwork users, using *Manual* mode only.
Previously (7/26/07) v.
Logic added to code to prevent file size messages from activating if
QuickScan is in the Auto Import/Upload or Auto Maintenance modes.
This would prevent the automatic modes from completing procedures and
2. Corrected a problem where account
identification flags were being assigned incorrectly to clip records after
a manual CC import and edit
3. Made corrections to the tab order
on the Order Creation form.
Previously (6/20/07) v.
problem with QuickFix form that was causing an error on close
2. Tweaks that allow the Order Entry functions to work more smoothly
3. New control to open Media (Program) Schedule screen from CC Import
4. New reports accessed from Order Tracking screen that displays, by data
range, the source for sales. There are two versions of this report:
Details and Summary. This reports allows monitors to track the
number of clips they're selling from various stations.
5. New option to suppress the opening of the Hot Topics screen when
QuickScan is launched.
6. Rewriting of logic pertaining to the (automatic and manual)
import of cc text and subsequent processing, exporting and uploading.
1. Changes have been made
to Client deletion process that now deletes orphaned profiles that
belonged to the deleted client or contact. This mainly affects the
Profile report that displays Clients, Contacts, Profile Names and the
keywords - exclude words and categories associated with the profile.
Auxiliary maintenance controls moved to User Options, File Management
screen from Perform Maintenance screen for greater ease of access
2. New control on File Management tab of User Options that allows the user
the option of suppressing weekly maintenance warning
3. New control on the Password tab of the User Options that allows the
user the option of leaving QuickScan in "Administrator Mode"
without having to click the control button to activate.
4. New warning pop-up message displays when data files are reaching their
size limit. 1 Gig for Current.mdb and 1.75 Gig for Archive.mdb
Maintenance - QuickScan Pro 7 data file maintenance may now be fully
automated. This is done with a script that runs the QuickScan
command line containing a new "switch". The script
(batch file, .bat) containing the command line may be run with Windows
Scheduler program and therefore fully automated to run unmanned at a
time when the database is not in use.
Maintenance - Pro 7
now offers one-button, self-tracking maintenance. Recognizing
maintenance procedures to be the most time-consuming, this update has
revamped the entire process and reduces it to a single mouse click. QuickScan
will automatically track records that are moved to the archive file and
only move newly added records. It will then automatically purge
old records from the current file according to a new setting in the
Self-updating data files - Pro 7 will eliminate the need for ever
sending data files back to BDS for modification. New fields are
now automatically added to back-end, data files (there are several
new fields added for this update). Before this update may be
installed a full backup with the old QuickScan is required. See
the installation instructions for more information.
User Options - File Management - The old File Information tab in
the QuickScan User Options has been changed to "File
Management" in Pro 7 and it contains all of the information you'll
need to easily keep your QuickScan updated and maintained.
includes a display of Current and Archive files sizes
a warning when data files are nearing their size limit.
to the maintenance controls and Purge option
button to link to the QuickScan Update Information Web page - to
tell you if there's a new update available and what's been modified
button to link to your QuickScan Update Download page (you
won't have to ever remember your download page address again!)
New and updated Help documents - Several documents have been added and
all of the existing documents have been modified in Pro 7.
are now up-to-date with a great deal of important information at your
Help buttons have been added to many screens to quickly access
Help information relevant to that screen
Help documents are now in .pdf format
documents no longer minimize QuickScan when they're opened
Document Library - The "Other" tab in the user options has
been changed to "Library - Other" and lists all of the
documentation immediately available to users. In addition to
listing all of the QuickScan Help documents there are also
documents for all things related to QuickScan including QuickScan JR,
FTP Voyager, YP Utilities, CC Text Processing Software and many
more. All of these documents will be instantly available for
printing or viewing and accessible with a single click.
report available to make it easier to track the Orders you've created
in QuickScan by date range
to output Order report data to an Excel spreadsheet
Enlarged "Media" database screen to allow the user to view
more programs at one time
Batch Email Parameters -
the user to enter default subject and body text. Until now
subject and body text had to be entered for each profile.
default body text no longer has size limit
and body text entered at the profile level take precedent over the
default subject and body entries
subject and body text blank at the profile level allows the defaults
to be used
QuickScan ProMedia 6
- Added feature to allow
NDS upload file to conform with the new specifications for radio
- Added feature to allow
the import of a file exported from the NDS system.
- Added feature to allow
NDS upload file to be created automatically from manual mode without
the iNN upload option selected.
- Fixed a bug that was causing the NDS
import function error.
- Fixed a bug that was causing the
keyword highlight characters to remain in view in the search results
screen after they'd been turned off. This was also causing
double keyword highlights to appear in reports.
- New Client's Profiles
Report displays each Client, Contacts, Profiles, Keywords, Exclude
Words, Categories and more for each profile in your Clients database.
- Modifications to the
automatic purge features that allow it to also purge files from the
"LeftOvers" location as well as the Archived file
location. This will also include older CC Import Log files.
- Modifications to the
"Print" entry screen to allow easier, quicker entry of
data. Logger Options carry over to remove certain fields from
the tab order.
- Modifications to
"Teaser" report to allow the user's company name and the
term "Sample Report" to become part of the file name when
the report is exported to exported to a file format.
- A feature that
allows the creation of an NDS-type file in the automated mode without
simultaneously uploading to inewsnetwork
- A new field has been
added to the Client record and the Order record for entering a credit
card security code.
- A new feature that
allows the flagging of alternate account profile names on selected
clip records. This feature previously only allowed the flagging
of clips with the account profile name that was used to produce those
particular search results.
- A new feature that
allows the deletion of a clip record or multiple clip records from the
search results screen
- A new feature for
QSAuto that displays a message of the user's choice on the pop-up
screen that opens when QSAuto is active.
- A new feature to allow
the automatic deletion of records from the database after they've been
stored for 10 days. This feature is primarily for the automatic
QuickScan users who don't use QuickScan for their day to day
operations and only for uploading. Having this feature
eliminates the need for the user to perform any regular maintenance.
feature that allows the automatic deletion of old CC files that have
been imported. There is also a new control to allow the user to
set the number of days the wish to keep old cc files until they are
modifications added for client that require that addition of a new
database for added tables: ReaderTBL.mdb QuickScan will not open
now if it doesn't find this file in its data file folder.
changes made to call letter field elimination because it was interfering
with NDS uploads
- License renewal update
a problem with the sorting of clips in the Rundown Report (a,b,c)
a potential problem that might occur with the call letter fields on
the shipping labels.
- Fixed Problem with query for NDS upload
- Feature to allow the
linking of older order records with archived clip records in other
- Modification to reduce
database file sizes
- Modified Rundown Client
(A,B,C) report to handle larger city fields.
- Fixed Output to NDS function
- Changed 'City' field size on pre-upload
tables to allow for larger market names.
- Fixes a problem with searching in
"Other" data files.
- Fixes a problem with
the Print module being able to use the "Teaser" report
- Fixes the problem that
was preventing some reports from displaying edited work without first
saving the edits.
- Fixes a problem was
preventing the "Tape Labels" from printing selected hits
- New "You've Got
Hits" report. Does not display details of the search
results but instead displays a text message stating that there were
hits for the client on this day and to call for more information.
- New "are you
sure" dialog box added to Archive File Maintenance procedure.
Previously (5/16/05 -
- Fix to resolve a
problem that was not allowing reports to print from
- Fix to resolve a
problem that was clearing record selections from the search result
screen after a report print preview
- Fix to resolve a
problem that was not allowing edits made in the search results to be
printed to a subsequent report without saving the changes first.
Temporary changes may now be printed to reports without saving those
- New feature to allow
the deletion of records from the search results screen (some may call
this a fix).
report added to Publication report list (Search Engine and Search
- Feature to add back the
page down and space bar remove/add selected record from the search
- Fix to clear up problem
with Media Value reports in the Batch output
- New FTP control added
when it was discovered that installing Norton Anti-virus 2005 was
disabling the old control **
This update requires that the FTP control file, "csftpctl.ocx",
is placed in the Windows system folder (usually "c:\Windows\System32")
and is then registered. Copy the file to this folder and then
from the Run dialog box (click Start then Run) enter
"regsvr32.exe c:\windows\System32\csftpctl.ocx" On
some older Windows 2000 installations this folder will be "c:\WinNT\System32".
This will register the file with Windows. Call BDS if you have
questions. You may also request a new installation CD that will
install and register the new FTP control file automatically.
- New feature removes the
distinction on the search interface between "Actual Data"
and "Temporary Data". Results are all viewed from a
temporary table and the user is now prompted to save any changes that
are made to the data in the results and these are then appended to the
actual data table.
- New feature to display
Keyword Highlight characters in the search results. This allows
for easy searching of all keywords within search results by the use of
Find/Replace function that appears on the double click of the text
- Created a new option
for Print versions that changes the operator from AND to OR when in
the Print-search mode. This allows for the user to search within
a State or States (which in the broadcast mode is the
"station" field) and within independent cities not in the
- Changed address for inewsnetwork
uploads (hard coded)
- New Feature to import the inewsnetwork
- Added .pdf file output to batch report
- Added new option to allow user to
select where the "leftover" cc files would be stored - in
the New CC file folder or the Archive CC file folder (note: your
datafile.mdb file must be modified to in order for this feature to
- Fix to the order creation module that
was not allowing client information to be added to the order.
- Enhancement to NDS file output feature
that concatenates the TimeIn to the front of the article record text
field. This was already being done in other output areas but now
all areas are conform.
Previously (11/17/04 -
- New button on User Options, File
Information tab that opens this Update Information Page in the user's
- A bug (created in the 11/17/04
version), which was causing cc file-move function to quit before
completion and therefore preventing the automatic upload to iNN, has
- The "LeftOvers" folder is now
being automatically created as a sub-folder of the user's New CC
File folder (user named) and the automatic closed caption file
import log is now also being placed in the LeftOvers folder (these
were both formerly placed in the Archive CC File folder).
Previously (11/17/04 -
- Special changes for specific monitor
- Makes changes to error handling of
QSAuto which allows it to close on an FTP error.
- Changes the directory where the "LeftOvers"
folder is created and where the cc import log text file is created
from the user defined "archive" folder to the "new cc
- Fixes to problems with automatic
SofTouch-type CC file imports.
- Created modifications to allow QSAuto to
continue normally with shut down when an FTP error is encountered
while uploading to iNN. This allows records to be re-uploaded
during the next successful FTP connection.
- Created modifications to allow QSAuto to run
normally without the FTP upload portion of the process enabled.
- Issue resolved where multi-page batch report attachments of HTML
formatted reports would only attach the first page.
- Fixed problem with DL file output.
- QuickScan and QSAuto merged.
- Small closed caption file size filter changed to a user defined
variable. This allows the user to set the size of the file that
will not be imported into QuickScan because it may be too small.
- A problem was corrected that was causing the cc import feature to
ignore delimiters when all of these in the cc file are positioned at
the beginning of the lines of text.
- Auto-correct property removed from delimiter field of Programs in
the "Media" database. This was preventing some
delimiter character sets from being used.
- Modifications to Rundown (a,b,c) report to alphabetize stations by
- New cc file import features - Repairs cc import problems from
7/26/04 that was recalled. Features added follow:
- Detects file format type automatically (CCapture - Postech or
- Detect and move undersized closed caption files. During the batch cc file import process QuickScan now detects
undersized closed caption files and instead of attempting to import
them moves the undersized files to a unique folder where they can be
- Detect and automatically move cc files with missing but expected
delimiters or choose to automatically parse them with a default
- New button to in User Options to re-open CC Import Log screen.
- Clear button on manual parse screen to remove existing
- DL Export modification - some systems were experiencing problems
with the location of the QSideCar.mdb file. This adjustment hard
codes the file location, which brings the caveat of forcing the
QuickScan installation in the c:\qspro
- Tweaks to QuickScan search engine logic.
- Important update corrects a problem in search engine when Account
Profile name flag is used as one of the search parameters.
- QuickScan-Auto - automatically refreshes itself, turns itself on,
imports cc files, uploads to iNN, exports NDS file, turns itself off. Requires
- Added interface for QS-Auto parameters set.
- Repaired problem with article account profile flagging after manual
- Fixed problem with clearing Search Engine screen.
- Work done on all QuickScan reports to be sure they all work
correctly in the batch output mode and that the "no hits"
feature is outputting a report displaying the "no hits"
- New feature added to Emailer feature that allows each Account
Profile to have reports sent from a profile that include a unique
"from" address (Report Emailed From) and also allows a
unique blind carbon copy (Also Send to Me as Blind CC at).
Leaving these new fields blank in the Profile causes the emailer to
use the default information from the User Options.
- Modified new "QuickFix" screen for two-mode
operation. Default mode does not load filtered records, which
allows quicker load and use speed.
- Fixed bug in batch email error reporting
- Batch report problem "Too few parameters" fixed
- Adjustments to the Order screen
- Search by Order Number added to Order Master screen.
- New "QuickFix" process created. This is a much more
advanced version of the old QuickFix screen. Safer and easier to
- Export DL screen modified for easier, quicker DL file creation.
- Removed c:\QSPro folder dependency.
- Fixes to Order screen glitches:
- Sorted Order Master screen would go blank after viewing an order
and then returning to the master screen.
- Order screen would change Shipping price back to the client
default after it was modified by the user.
- Contact Notes linked to Order screen. Orders are now able to
display notes from the Contact's note field. The text from this
field may also be transferred to any of the Order's three notes fields
with a command button.
- New tab page added to the User Options for email parameters used
with the internal batch emailer.
- A field has been added to the Order Screen that displays Notes from
the Account Profile. Provisions have also been made to
automatically add all of the information from this screen to any of
the other note fields on the Order screen.
- Edited-record-locking on Search Engine - Account Profile screen to
help prevent corruption in multiple use environments.
- Button on Search Engine screen that allows viewing of Contact
information while in the Account Profile mode now opens the Client
screen to the Contact Page.
- Update to correctly calculate estimated clip length values where
broadcasts are automatically parsed by a time interval and also
manually logged. This update is particularly important for those
monitors who log manually.
- Removed 'auto correct' from all station fields on screens where
broadcast station selection was necessary. This was causing
stations such as "WROK" to be automatically changed to
- Added new "Clear" button to Search Engine -Account Profile
screen to allow clearing of all parameters while in either Ad Hoc mode
or Account Profile mode.
- New "Help" document for Batch Reporting and
Processing. This is activated from a new command button on this
- Modification were made to the drop-down list controls in the logging
screens where repeating time values were being displayed (ALL
QuickScan types - JR, QSafeTNet, DL, ProMedia 4i).
- Corrected problem that was preventing "blank" report from
printing in some cases where a messages was needed to be sent to
clients when there were no actual search results.
- Internal Spell Checker added (optional, may require update fee)
. This is for ALL QuickScan types (JR, QSafeTNet, DL, ProMedia
- Modification to code calculating Media Values to ensure that 'bad'
data is handled.
- Archive file maintenance interface modified to verify that the file
name chosen as the new archive file is correctly formatted with an
".mdb" file extension.
- Modifications to the "Media" screen to make selection
control empty after a station is selected so as not to allow user to believe that they are on the record that is represented in
- Important modifications to accommodate "Relative Media
Value" calculations on iNN
- Fixed filter controls on Batch Report and Orders screens
- Modified "Edit Stories" screen to not allow the
addition of new story records from this screen. Adding story
records from this screen, rather than from the "data entry"
screens, would cause critical data fields to be left empty. This
modification has also been made to the QuickScanJR program.
- Layout reconfigured on Main Menu, Import CC, User Options and
- Modified report displaying all broadcasts in Media database.
- Removed code trying to attach un-used tables
- New functionality added to Ad Hoc search screen disables
"Return to Ad Hoc" button when already in Ad Hoc mode.
- Requested mods to Invoice and Order reports
- Fixes problem with initial price selected for an Order not being
carried over to the Order items
- New screens (whoo hoo)
- Fixes a problem with the closed caption import function that may
have been causing the program parsing delimiter (e.g. >>>) to
be ignored during a CC file import. This would possibly cause an
entire program to be imported as only one story.
- Master Order Search form enhanced with a "Topic Search"
field that allows the user to search for historical ordering
information based on topic. You may now search for clients who placed
orders in the past regarding particular topics in order to re-contact
those client should a topic re-emerge in the news.
- "Blank Order" - fixed problem where fields were not being
added to new orders (orders that were not from search results)
- New Credit Card fields added to ORDERS "Invoice" report
- Fixed problems with some of the ORDERS features, passing all client
parameters to an Ad Hoc order, etc.
- Fix problem with Media Value reports in Archive mode
- Updates export forms, Main Menu iNN export command button
- Fixes "Key Highlight" reports, which were not displaying
keywords or text correctly
- Fixes a CC file import problem that prevented some files from being
- Reinstates ability to import CC files into an alternate database
- Adds ability for Archive maintenance to move Account and Category
- Adds ability to search archived data by 'category' and
'account' name flags. Also corrects a problem that was causing
'categories' and 'account names' to display incorrectly in archived data